Advancement Via Individual Determination
AVID is a program designed to prepare students to meet the requirements for admission to four-year colleges and universities at the end of high school. Students take courses in 7th and 8th grade that provide them with the skills needed to be successful in advanced English, history, math, science, and foreign language. Inparticular, students are taught study skills, note taking, time management, writing, and research skills. The class will also include access to tutors from nearby colleges. Additionally, the AVID class provides access to information about colleges and universities. Students are selected for participation based on the following criteria:
- A 2.0 to a 3.5 grade point average
- Grade level performance on standardized state tests in reading, language, and mathematics.
- Appropriate citizenship in all classes
- Strong attendance
- Personal challenges to attending college may include: first in family to attend college, financial hardship, underrepresented cultural/ethnic group, famaily or personal dilemmas, unusual circumstances, etc.
- Personal interest in participating in the program as evedenced by completing all steps of the application process on time.